Graphic DesignerApply Job ID 22852 Date posted Jul.. 21, 2022 Location Arlington, Texas Full Time / Part Time Full time (FT)
GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB
The Designer is expected to possess an aptitude for production/design, an awareness of Quad’s production/design capabilities, an understanding of industry standards and practices related to Graphic Arts, and the ability to work with clients (internal and external) to coordinate project flow and deadlines. Additionally, the Designer must have the experience/ability to read, understand, and work with client data to fulfill his/her role.
The primary role of the Designer is to design new ads and perform modifications as needed, as well as develop various signs and support materials as needed. Must be creative and have the ability to multitask on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Design and propose creative elements for visual purposes in client media collateral
- Create layout comps, rough and presentation material as requested
- Assist in project and/or client customer service needs. This includes direct communications with the client.
- Develop and execute a project from concept to print
- Artistic development of all phases of the publication- editorial and any advertisements as requested by the client
- Provide direction to photographers and production artists involved in the production of the publication
- Expected to strategize, design, and produce high-end results
- Be aware of Graphic & Advertising Trends as they relate to publication design
- Work closely with the creative director in the conception of editorial stories and features in the publication
- Enter new items in ad pages, including copy and images. Use sources provided to add images to pages as necessary.
- Revise ads as required through the proofing process, checking for missing elements, re-arranging copy blocks and other ad elements as needed.
- Advise Manager on copy legibility and discrepancy issue in ad plans.
- Following established proofing procedures on all jobs proofing with associates as required, initial proof approval form as required.
- Follow established check-off procedures; drop completed files to prepress Out-Put Coordinators.
- Provide additional creative client support on special projects as needed.
- Provide project coordination support, including project initiation, scheduling and obtaining approvals and follow through on deliverables.
- Be directed to deliver creative elements based on specific direction by the team’s leadership or Project Coordinators
- Execute, design and propose creative elements for printed and electronic materials including flyers, catalogs, brochures and editable electronic documents (PDF, Web, Interactive)
- Attend project meetings, will ideate with the team and will provide creative materials and ideas
- Electronically build, create and assemble various print projects in accordance with agency and client specifications. This includes, but is not limited to data entry and type setting, image manipulation, art creation or modification. This includes sketching and illustration
- Propose creative concept elements for potential and new projects
- Prepare/edit digital assets using scanners and or digital cameras
- Prepare client proofs for approval
- Knowledge of POS and store signage
- Make corrections and modifications to client proofs as requested
- Assist in project and/or client customer service needs
- Knowledge of printing, prepress, digital output. Preflight and packaging of files necessary.
- Execute design layouts and revisions according to creative direction
- Work closely with design team as well as client’s marketing groups to collaborate on creative direction
- Under the direction of Supervisor and/or Sr. Designers, create & produce page layouts that promote the client's brand and sales objectives
- Collaborate with Account Manager and Sr. Designers to ensure a complete understanding of the client branding guidelines
- Work with pagination & product mix to develop page layouts & final page production based on established guidelines
- Work efficiently & accurately through high volumes of work, meeting deadlines in a very time-sensitive environment
- Review all job instructions, both written and verbal, & ask any questions necessary to successfully complete the project
- Assist Sr. Designers and Layout/Production staff as needed
- Utilize resources to problem solve challenges on project
- Prepare technically sound files for prepress/printer
- Perform other responsibilities, as they are developed/defined
Appropriate education and/or experience may be substituted on an equivalent basis
Education: Bachelor’s in Graphic Design or equivalent
Experience: 1+ years of experience as a Mac Operator and Graphic Artist
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- MAC Based hardware/software systems
- Laser printing devices
- Basic understanding of remote conductivity to communicate from various locations
- Error-free Post scripting
- Graphic Design Software: Quark, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, Suitcase, Stuffit and Microsoft Office, Archiving and Backup Procedures
- Ability to speak, read and write in the English language
- Desire to continue education through trade shows, seminars, special courses, etc.
- Ability to demonstrate competency in layout sketching and typography in a portfolio
- Accuracy in page building
- Demonstrates the ability to perform well and remain organized under pressure and tight deadlines
- Demonstrate the ability to handle multiple projects, in a fast and rapidly changing environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to set and prioritize goals and achieve them as scheduled.
- Demonstrate flexibility to adjust to rapidly changing requirements and schedules.
- Demonstrate an analytical approach to problem solving
- Demonstrate the ability to act on own initiative
- Demonstrates a desire to learn, willingness to do both menial tasks and take on more complex challenges
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to work with the design team to achieve their best
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to build and maintain positive relationships
- Possess the ability to work with management to achieve Company goals including customer satisfaction and company profitability
- Demonstrate willingness to accept direction from management to improve quality and performance
- Demonstrate willingness to work together with peers and other departments to improve quality and performance
- Knowledge of printing, prepress, digital output. Preflight and packaging of files necessary. Familiarity with prepress troubleshooting software
- General advertising, marketing, media, TV and radio terminology and processes
- Knowledge of the web, internet, and ftp technology
- Knowledge of POS and store signage
- Knowledge of technical solutions and troubleshooting techniques
- Intermediate knowledge of visual design process and visual design principles
- Familiarity with digital proofing systems (Network and Online)
- Possess an understanding of magazine production and editorial direction processes is essential
- Have excellent typographic and graphic design skill, superlative production design skills with a great attention to detail
- Must have strong project management skills, ability to think strategically and manage multiple priorities, anticipate demands, coordinate stringent deadlines and properly estimate time for work
- Understand the printing process to ensure that pages are built correctly for printing
- A strong eye for design and page composition and layout
- Excellent problem-solving, communication and organizational skills
- Extremely detail-oriented
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment – work overtime as needed
- Knowledge of the Windows platform
- Ability to quickly adapt to new software tools and changes in project direction
- Ability to complete work accurately in time-sensitive environment
- Some preflight experience a plus
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Print samples required
- Portfolio samples required
Additional Company Information
We offer excellent benefits to eligible employees, including 401(k), holidays, vacations and more.
Quad is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We are committed to creating a place of belonging — a space where employees do not need to sacrifice who they are to exist and grow in our workplace. Quad does not discriminate on any unlawful basis including race, religion, color, national origin, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Quad also prohibits harassment of applicants and employees based on any of these protected categories.
Drug Free Workplace
Categories at a glance
Explore available opportunities by job type, click each to learn more.
Develop sales strategies to help solve our clients’ challenges and grow their business.
Concept and design compelling campaigns and products for leading retailers, publishers and brand marketers.
Develop plans to buy and schedule media to support clients' marketing objectives from print to digital media and broadcast.
Manage client relationships and their projects from within a facility, creative studio or in the client’s on-site location.
Make an impact in strategic administrative roles that include information technology (IT), accounting, legal and marketing.
Make quality print products in a highly automated and technologically advanced environment.
Drivers & Logistics
Create customized distribution solutions to move freight on-time, every time, delivering on customers' needs.
Electrical & Mechanical
Be a problem solver and join a team that ensures our facilities, offices and equipment are running efficiently.
Gain real-work experience through internships and trainee programs with strategic entry-level opportunities.