Second Shift Saddle Stitch OperatorApply Job ID 25097 Date posted Jan. 23, 2023 Location Burlington, Wisconsin
Quad is currently hiring Essential Workers who want to make a difference - Imagine more than you have today. Your career starts here. Be greater than you thought possible and reap the rewards of your success and growth. We are in the business of developing people. Promotions are based on your performance – You are in charge of your career!
At Quad, The General Laborer's entry-level wages for full-time start between $17.50 - $19.50 / hour. You have immediate opportunities to advance – driving you to be better than yesterday. In addition, we value and reward manufacturing experience by providing a competitive wage. Individuals with print experience can have a starting wage of up to $27 / hour. As your career progresses, there are multiple upward paths available, as we are continuously looking for our next group of leaders to excel within the organization. Quad prides itself on having a grow-from-within philosophy where employees are provided the opportunity to learn in their roles and grow within the company.
The Burlington plant is a one-stop shop for custom and specialty print work. Burlington employees can do it all – from books to brochures, catalogs to calendars, and direct mail to directories. It has 10 Color Sheetfed capabilities including UV Inks and Specialty Finishes, Die Cutting, Embossing, Folding, and Gluing - all in-house. We offer competitive pay, health, dental, pharmacy, and life insurance, 401k, vacation, and other great benefits.
Quad is a Wisconsin-based company, which is among the largest magazine and direct-mail printers in the U.S. Our company leverages its strong print foundation as part of a much larger, robust integrated marketing services platform that helps marketers and content creators improve the efficiency and effectiveness of their marketing spend across offline and online media channels.
Quad is closely following the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) and implementing processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, customers, and communities. We follow CDC and local health authorities, and federal and state governments along with best practices and recommendations from our healthcare subsidiary, QuadMed.
Quad in Burlington is seeking experienced Finishing Machine Operators.
Available Work Schedules that fit your lifestyle and needs:
8 – 10-hour shifts (3 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. or 1 a.m.), these shifts do not rotate.
Job Duties Include but are not limited to:
- Operate machine effectively and safely according to standards to ensure a quality product.
- Perform and document preventative and routine maintenance as needed or assigned.
- Make ready the stacker, tiers, mail head, and mail control.
- Make ready and run all aspects of the saddle stitcher (pockets, gatherer, stitcher heads, in feed, trimmer, mail table, and mail head, etc.…)
- Make-ready and run demographic and inkjet.
- Fill in for other master operators when needed.
- Assist other master operators with start-ups as possible when their line is down.
- Support material handlers during continuous and self-supported running (including mail-sacking, skid stacking, pocket filling, cover filling, etc.) and give work direction during downtime and clean-up.
- Read and understand binding instructions, mailing instructions, and support the BCS system.
- Ensure proper functioning of safety devices (i.e., guards, stop buttons)
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment.
- Perform additional tasks as needed or assigned.
- Harris 855 and Muller Saddle Stitcher experience a plus (335, Bravo, or Prima Plus)
- Demonstrated skill in mechanics/mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to read and interpret binding/mailing instructions and operating/maintenance manuals.
- Knowledge of department safety practices
- Good understanding of all Bindery functions/procedures
- Good understanding of the co-palletization process, demographics, and selective binding processes
- Good understanding of primary causes and remedies for various quality problems
- Ability to recognize, identify, analyze, and communicate problem situations and/or factors.
- Basic computer skills including a good understanding of the BCS System
- Willingness to move to other machines.
- Willingness to work overtime on unscheduled days.
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Strong communication skills; both oral and written
- Ability to work easily and productively with others and with minimal supervision.
Essential functions of this job include the following: the ability to lift 10-15 pounds continuously, the ability to lift up to 70 pounds occasionally, stand for long hours, use hands and wrists continuously in controlled movement, receive and follow instructions and use vision to identify defects.
Categories at a glance
Explore available opportunities by job type, click each to learn more.
Develop sales strategies to help solve our clients’ challenges and grow their business.
Concept and design compelling campaigns and products for leading retailers, publishers and brand marketers.
Develop plans to buy and schedule media to support clients' marketing objectives from print to digital media and broadcast.
Manage client relationships and their projects from within a facility, creative studio or in the client’s on-site location.
Make an impact in strategic administrative roles that include information technology (IT), accounting, legal and marketing.
Make quality print products in a highly automated and technologically advanced environment.
Drivers & Logistics
Create customized distribution solutions to move freight on-time, every time, delivering on customers' needs.
Electrical & Mechanical
Be a problem solver and join a team that ensures our facilities, offices and equipment are running efficiently.
Gain real-work experience through internships and trainee programs with strategic entry-level opportunities.
The importance of caring for one another, runs deep. It is at the heart of our healthcare and wellness programs, our retirement plans, all of our benefits. It's how we build rich, balanced lives for ourselves and our families, at work and at home.
From the very beginning, Quad has been defined by the people who work here. Our values, our skills, our creativity – it has all grown from those very first days in business, passed from worker to worker, built on the relationships – the trust – between us. All the presses, computers and technology; all the buildings; all the resources; none of it matters without the people who make Quad work.