Finishing Operator (Second Operator I)Apply Job ID 19203 Date posted Apr. 09, 2021 Location Effingham, Illinois Full Time / Part Time Full time (FT)
From stitching and binding to special coatings, embossing, intricate folds, die cutting, and 1-to-1 inkjet messaging, our Finishing team uses the industry’s most advanced technology to transform ink on paper into finished pieces that grab consumers’ attention and drive sales and readership for our customers.
Quad is currently hiring Essential Workers who want to make a difference - Imagine more than you have today. Your career starts here. Be greater than you thought possible and reap the rewards of your success and growth. We are in the business of developing people. Promotions are based on your performance – You are in charge of your career!
You will work a 12 hour rotating shift (either 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. or 7 p.m. - 7 a.m.) including days, nights, weekends, and holidays working 3 or 4 days a week. These shifts rotate every 4 months from days to nighs or from night to days. Overtime always a possibility but not guaranteed.
At Quad we value and reward manufacturing experience by providing a competitive wage. Individuals with print experience can have a starting wage of up to $27/hr. You have immediate opportunities to advance – driving you to be better than yesterday. As your career progresses, there are multiple upward paths available, as we are continuously looking for our next group of leaders to excel within the organization.
Effingham is a one-stop, full-service specialty operation capable of printing commercial and direct mail products with full personalization capabilities and in-house mail services. In addition, Effingham has total scheduling flexibility due to its large capacity, interchangeable presses. Our employees and their families have access to an onsite medical clinic,. We offer competitive pay, health, dental, pharmacy and life insurance, 401k, vacation, and other great benefits, including a compressed work schedule where you work half of the year!
Quad is a Wisconsin-based company, which is among the largest magazine and direct-mail printers in the U.S. Our company leverages its strong print foundation as part of a much larger, robust integrated marketing services platform that helps marketers and content creators improve the efficiency and effectiveness of their marketing spend across offline and online media channels.
Quad is closely following the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), and implementing processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, customers and communities. We follow CDC and local health authorities, federal and state governments along with best practices and recommendations from our healthcare subsidiary, QuadMed.
BE YOUR OWN SUCCESS STORY. BE SOMETHING GREATER. BE QUAD.
Quad is currently seeking Finishing Operators, responsible for set up and operation of Finishing equipment (to include Cutters, Folders, Inserters and Inkjet) to customer-supplied specifications. If you have experience with any of the following equipment, we need to talk!
- Sitma Polywrappers
- Buhr envelope inserting machines
- MCS and Scitex 6240 off-line mailers
- MBO folders
- Palimedies folder auto banders
- Polar cutters and Polar die cutters
- Textwrap bundle wrappers,
- C & E poly banders
- Labelaire label applicators
- Robotech hot melt glue systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Set up, adjust and operate inserting, cutting, folding and offline equipment.
- Direct, motivate and develop crew working on the machine.
- Act as technical resource to address and resolve inquiries and problems; analyze and resolve work problems, and assist workers in solving work problems.
- Understanding of all online labor management tools and Smartools.
- Consult with Specialist about scheduled production. Plan the most efficient methods of completing work assignments.
- Continually evaluate processes and methods, recommend measures to improve production methods, equipment performance, utilization of people, and quality of product.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment. Instruct and monitor production employees’ work practices and conformance with procedures.
- Comply with all quality, safety and work rules and regulations
- Experience with the following equipment: Sitma Poly wrappers, and offline equipment including inserters, folders, rotary trimmers, auto banders, label applicators, hot melt glue systems, and flat cutters experience a plus
- 2-3 years of previous Bindery/Finishing Operator experience, including set up and operation
- Strong mechanical aptitude is required
- Observe and monitor machine operations to determine whether adjustments are needed to run product for the highest quality in the safest manner
- Perform basic maintenance and troubleshooting
- Must have ability to utilize computer to ensure quality of product
- Ability to lift 10-15 pounds continuously, the ability to lift up to 70 pounds occasionally, stand long hours (12-hour shift), use hands and wrists continuously in controlled movement, receive and follow instructions and use vision in order to identify defects
- The ability to work a 12 hour rotating shift (either 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. or 7 p.m.-7 a.m.) including days, nights, weekends and holidays
The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Additional Company Information
We offer excellent benefits to eligible employees, including 401(k), holidays, vacations and more.
Quad is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We are committed to creating a place of belonging — a space where employees do not need to sacrifice who they are to exist and grow in our workplace. Quad does not discriminate on any unlawful basis including race, religion, color, national origin, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Quad also prohibits harassment of applicants and employees based on any of these protected categories.
Drug Free Workplace
Categories at a glance
Explore available opportunities by job type, click each to learn more.
Develop sales strategies to help solve our clients’ challenges and grow their business.
Concept and design compelling campaigns and products for leading retailers, publishers and brand marketers.
Develop plans to buy and schedule media to support clients' marketing objectives from print to digital media and broadcast.
Gain real-work experience through internships and trainee programs with strategic entry-level opportunities.
Make an impact in strategic administrative roles that include information technology (IT), accounting, legal and marketing.
Make quality print products in a highly automated and technologically advanced environment.
Be part of a team that drives our success.
Electrical & Mechanical
Be a problem solver and join a team that ensures our facilities, offices and equipment are running efficiently.
Manage client relationships and their projects from within a facility, creative studio or in the client’s on-site location.