Shift Supervisor - PressApply Job ID 18609 Date posted Jan. 22, 2021 Location Effingham, Illinois Full Time / Part Time Full time (FT)
The Shift Supervisor primary responsibility is to lead a cross functional team in multiple departments on a day-to-day basis. Associated activities will require constant on the floor supervision of manufacturing equipment, while effectively motivating employees in achieving positive morale and productivity expectations. The Shift Supervisor is responsible for ensuring they are achieving overall production goals, quality standards and safety for their crew.
- Provide leadership on the floor in a professional and timely manner.
- Establish and enforce quality, safety and performance expectations for crew.
- Lead and direct the work of a shift of press employees in accordance with policies and procedures. These responsibilities include safety, interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Provide objective performance coaching and feedback to all press operators.
- Evaluate and adjust work procedures to meet production schedules using knowledge of the capacity of employees, machines and equipment.
- Evaluate process and drive change in partnership with Plant Director and Department Manager.
- Evaluate labor needs and adjust workforce based on production volume to achieve the optimal performance and profitability for the shift.
- Participate in work related incident investigations.
- Define business objectives and metrics for their shift in partnership with the Department Manager.
- Develop and maintain training programs in conjunction with the Training Coordinator to ensure that all employees on their shift have the necessary skills to perform their duties safely and productively.
- Interpret and review customer job specifications with press personnel.
- Recognize the intricacy of printed materials in the production of good quality products.
- Provide advice and counsel on all aspects of production.
- Ensure machine maintenance is scheduled and completed timely and according to plans.
Education: High School diploma or GED Required
Experience: 5 – 8 years of experience in manufacturing operations
3 – 5 years supervisory experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of press operations
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Basic knowledge of Quad Graphics Smart tools, including Labman, Load Board and Employee Record Management System
- Ability to lead personnel in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work quickly and accurately and meet deadlines under pressure
- Ability to identify and develop talent for future leaders
- Ability to communicate clearly and develop professional relationship with other departments and external customers
- Strong working knowledge of 6S & Lean principles with ability to apply to work environment
- On call availability and flexibility to work any shift is required
- Strong technical knowledge of press operations and equipment
- Bi-lingual in Spanish
Additional Company Information
We offer excellent benefits to eligible employees, including 401(k), holidays, vacations and more.
Quad is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We are committed to creating a place of belonging — a space where employees do not need to sacrifice who they are to exist and grow in our workplace. Quad does not discriminate on any unlawful basis including race, religion, color, national origin, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Quad also prohibits harassment of applicants and employees based on any of these protected categories.
Drug Free Workplace
Categories at a glance
Explore available opportunities by job type, click each to learn more.
Develop sales strategies to help solve our clients’ challenges and grow their business.
Concept and design compelling campaigns and products for leading retailers, publishers and brand marketers.
Develop plans to buy and schedule media to support clients' marketing objectives from print to digital media and broadcast.
Gain real-work experience through internships and trainee programs with strategic entry-level opportunities.
Make an impact in strategic administrative roles that include information technology (IT), accounting, legal and marketing.
Make quality print products in a highly automated and technologically advanced environment.
Be part of a team that drives our success.
Electrical & Mechanical
Be a problem solver and join a team that ensures our facilities, offices and equipment are running efficiently.
Manage client relationships and their projects from within a facility, creative studio or in the client’s on-site location.