Second Pressman - 2nd ShiftApply Job ID 22330 Date posted Apr. 26, 2022 Location Franklin, Wisconsin Full Time / Part Time Full time (FT)
$2,000 Sign-On Bonus for Full-Time Manufacturing Employees
Quad is currently hiring Essential Workers who want to make a difference - Imagine more than you have today. Your career starts here. Be greater than you thought possible and reap the rewards of your success and growth. We are in the business of developing people. Promotions are based on your performance – You are in charge of your career!
At Quad, you have immediate opportunities to advance – driving you to be better than yesterday. We value and reward manufacturing experience by providing a competitive wage. As your career progresses, there are multiple upward paths available, as we are continuously looking for our next group of leaders to excel within the organization.
One of Quad’s premier packaging plants and world headquarters is located in Franklin, WI. The Franklin plant is just over 270,000 square feet in size, CLIMATE CONTROLLED and home to cutting edge equipment and technology.
Quad is a Wisconsin-based company, which is among the largest magazine and direct-mail printers in the U.S. Our company leverages its strong print foundation as part of a much larger, robust integrated marketing services platform that helps marketers and content creators improve the efficiency and effectiveness of their marketing spend across offline and online media channels.
Quad is closely following the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) and implementing processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, customers and communities. We follow CDC and local health authorities, federal and state governments along with best practices and recommendations from our healthcare subsidiary, QuadMed.
BE YOUR OWN SUCCESS STORY. BE SOMETHING GREATER. BE QUAD.
Quad is seeking a Second Pressman for 2nd shift at the Franklin, WI location.
The Second Pressman is a Press Operator who has previous experience with assisting a Sheetfed First Press Operator I and II as a Sheetfed Press Assistant. The Second Pressman will set up, adjust, operate, and maintain a multi-color offset press to ensure the precision of printed stock that successfully and cost effectively meets the customer job order; building on skills to achieve consistent efficiency expectations and leadership on productivity and quality.
- Review job specifications to determine the press setup
- Perform all make-ready tasks associated with the type of press operated such as pulling and hanging correct plates/verify plates are approved, examine plates for imperfections and checks for correct positioning of images, prepping blankets, adjusting tension, clean ink rollers; install plates and ensure and load colors/fill reservoirs and adjust to regulate ink volume. Ensure and/or load correct paper stock; ensure set-up of take-off area.
- Verify positioning of image, check against samples.
- Make necessary color corrections and/or press adjustments prior to production run to meet and maintain the quality specifications of the work.
Start, run and control printing press operation. Monitor feeding and printing operations, materials and surrounding areas.
- Run sufficient start up samples and compare to approved sample and/or artwork. Look for any inconsistency between sample and proof. Check for blemishing, scratching, rub/wheel marks, etc. Check text for readability. Scan barcode and verify with print out.
- Document and record all required information; report discrepancies and await directives if needed.
- Remove make ready pieces; spray paint and tape for identification and isolate – obtain and complete sign-off
- Assist and back-up other Pressman and Press Assistants as needed
- Follow Job Order and SOP for the job’s production process
- Produce required quantity of sheets, inspecting per job order or a minimum of 1 sheet per every 1,000 impressions to detect defects and verify conformance to work order.
- Continuously monitor production and make adjustments as needed.
- Defective and/or questionable/non-conforming material and customer samples should be tagged or marked appropriately by red=waste, yellow=caution or sort, green=customer sample and stage.
- Place job order on top of load and stage production unto pallets.
- Complete all paperwork in correct order and place all appropriate materials in Job Jacket.
- Clear all finished goods and make-ready; contain and/or isolate.
- Perform routine maintenance and minor repairs of equipment ; perform preventative maintenance according to schedule.
- Record information requested on Machine Boards.
- Developing the skills to consistently meet efficiency expectations
- Consistently maintains and follows key industry certifications through consistent adherence. This includes but is not limited to safety and quality.
- Operators may operate and oversee the operation of more than one press at a time within skill set.
- Promotes team work and cross trains on various pieces of equipment as assigned
- Completes additional tasks as assigned
Appropriate education and/or experience may be substituted on an equivalent basis
- Manufacturing experience in packaging industry preferred but not required
- Must be detail oriented
- Successfully complete color test
- Requires thorough knowledge of sheetfed, offset printing procedures, materials and specifications, equipment, and safety requirements and skills to perform assignments.
- Ability to read and follow job specifications to determine press set-up materials needed to run the job successfully. Skill to follow instructions to operate equipment safely and produce the desired product.
- Skill in performing routine operational maintenance and minor repairs to equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret documents to include job tickets, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals
- Computer Proficient
- Ability to Problem Solve and Troubleshoot
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and handle a wide variety of responsibilities in a timely manner
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations within the organization preferred
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram forms
- Consistently at work and on time
- Must be able to work 2nd shift, 3pm-1am, Mon.-Thurs.; overtime as needed
High School Degree or equivalent
- 2-3 Years of Experience in Web or Sheetfed preferred.
- Experience with Heidelberg presses preferred.
- Must have Machine Repair and Maintenance experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must be familiar with machines and tools, including their designs, uses, benefits, repair and maintenance.
- Computer Proficient
- Trouble Shooting Experience
- Supervisory Experience preferred
- Must understand Lock Out/Tag Out and danger areas in Production
Additional Company Information
We offer excellent benefits to eligible employees, including 401(k), holidays, vacations and more.
Quad is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We are committed to creating a place of belonging — a space where employees do not need to sacrifice who they are to exist and grow in our workplace. Quad does not discriminate on any unlawful basis including race, religion, color, national origin, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Quad also prohibits harassment of applicants and employees based on any of these protected categories.
Drug Free Workplace
Categories at a glance
Explore available opportunities by job type, click each to learn more.
Develop sales strategies to help solve our clients’ challenges and grow their business.
Concept and design compelling campaigns and products for leading retailers, publishers and brand marketers.
Develop plans to buy and schedule media to support clients' marketing objectives from print to digital media and broadcast.
Manage client relationships and their projects from within a facility, creative studio or in the client’s on-site location.
Make an impact in strategic administrative roles that include information technology (IT), accounting, legal and marketing.
Make quality print products in a highly automated and technologically advanced environment.
Drivers & Logistics
Create customized distribution solutions to move freight on-time, every time, delivering on customers' needs.
Electrical & Mechanical
Be a problem solver and join a team that ensures our facilities, offices and equipment are running efficiently.
Gain real-work experience through internships and trainee programs with strategic entry-level opportunities.