Shift Supervisor - CapertonApply Job ID 14518 Date posted Jul. 17, 2019 Location Martinsburg, West Virginia Full Time / Part Time Full time (FT)
The Shift Supervisor plays an essential leadership role in the press room by coordinating safety, production, quality, and labor activities for all presses and Decorating equipment on a shift. This position has accountability for meeting the press room performance objectives and overseeing the efforts of the press room staff to ensure that Quad will deliver a high quality product efficiently and resulting in customer satisfaction. Some of the primary duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible/accountable for the overall safety of several press crews and temporary labor when applicable.
- Following Lockout/Tag out procedures when necessary
- Maintaining proper placement of machine guards
- Ensuring Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is properly worn when necessary
- Following and enforcing the Quad Safety Rules
- Review production schedules to plan labor requirements for relevant shift
- Monitor production and waste performance and use independent judgment to make recommendations for improving production methods, quality and use of equipment to increase efficiencies
- Directs departmental operations to ensure production schedules and customer requirements are met.
- Use independent judgment to make decisions on staffing, addressing quality and maintenance issues
- Monitor overall quality of the printed product by performing periodic inspections
- Communicate with all necessary department and shift leads to ensure smooth workflow
- Provide effective technical and safety training, coaching and direction to crew
- Provide adequate resources to teammates
- Administer employee performance reviews, and provide regular performance feedback to staff
- Make recommendations to address issues requiring disciplinary action
- Promote safe work habits for all employees by enforcing company safety rules and practices, conducting monthly crew meetings and Toolbox Talks highlighting various safety and housekeeping topics
- Conduct daily safety inspections of the facility and the production equipment
- Conduct observations of employee safety behavior on a regular basis
- Verbally review applicable Safety Alerts and Serious Accident Notifications with press crew members
- Conduct thorough accident investigations identifying root causes and corrective actions in a timely manner.
- Ensure timely reporting of accidents and near misses to Human Resources and Sr. Management and make recommendation to improve safety and reduce workplace incidents
- Meet with clients for press approvals
- Supervisory experience including ability to train, develop and provide guidance to staff preferred.
- High school diploma required
- Working knowledge of print production process from start to finish
- At least 3 years experience as a press operator with the ability to demonstrate setup and operational experience.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely in both written and verbal communication
- Must understand the characteristic and properties of ink and paper
- Needs some computer skills (Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.)
We offer excellent benefits to eligible employees, including 401(k), holidays, vacations and more.
Quad/Graphics is an equal employment opportunity employer. The company’s policy is not to unlawfully discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other consideration made unlawful by applicable federal, state, or local laws. The company also prohibits harassment of applicants and employees based on any of these protected categories.
Categories at a glance
Explore available opportunities by job type, click each to learn more.
Develop sales strategies to help solve our clients’ challenges and grow their business.
Concept and design compelling campaigns and products for leading retailers, publishers and brand marketers.
Develop plans to buy and schedule media to support clients' marketing objectives from print to digital media and broadcast.
Gain real-work experience through internships and trainee programs with strategic entry-level opportunities.
Make an impact in strategic administrative roles that include information technology (IT), accounting, legal and marketing.
Make quality print products in a highly automated and technologically advanced environment.
Be part of a team that drives our success.
Electrical & Mechanical
Be a problem solver and join a team that ensures our facilities, offices and equipment are running efficiently.
Manage client relationships and their projects from within a facility, creative studio or in the client’s on-site location.