First Press OperatorApply Job ID 18631 Date posted Jan. 20, 2021 Location Saratoga Springs, New York Full Time / Part Time Full time (FT)
- Operate and maintain press and all auxiliary equipment while guiding crew to meet and exceed production standards while maintaining customer quality requirements.
- Keep accurate records of all delay time during shift.
- Adhere to all current Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Know set-up and maintenance procedures for entire press
- Ability to troubleshoot unit and folder problems with minimum delay time
- Ability to troubleshoot reel and stacker problems with minimum delay time
- Attain and maintain proper ink and water balance
- Keep ongoing list of maintenance issues to be addressed during next scheduled maintenance, one list for all crews
- Direct crew to specific duties during scheduled maintenance
- Check and set rollers, change if necessary
- Communicate with Supervisors on any problems developing to help determine the best time to correct and prioritize
- Read entire job ticket; special instructions, ink colors, paper brand, basis weight, etc.
- Perform needed maintenance during any delay time
- Knowledge of post folder equipment and proper set up
- Plan ahead for 2-color and 4-color make ready, allow ink levels to run down
- Monitor and maintain constant ink densities per customer specifications
- Attend all Operators meetings
- Generate constant feeling of urgency, when press is down, to maintain production requirements
- Continue learning new and improved processes to achieve increased production
- Work safely while demanding your crew to work safely
- Responsible for promoting, enforcing and sustaining Portland’s Safety, 6S and Lean programs and look for ways to improve the operation.
- Responsible for the ongoing training and development of other Pressroom personnel and assisting Supervisors in documenting and improving procedures and processes by offering ideas and suggestions
- Assist Supervisors in providing feedback for employee evaluations
- Facilitate teamwork on crews and between shifts
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 3+ Years Press experience
- Able to lift and move 50 pounds or more repeatedly.
- Able to stand for 12 hours.
- Detailed knowledge of offset printing process
- Ability to read, write and perform math operations.
- Ability to distinguish colors accurately
- Ability to apply written and verbal instructions for machine set-up.
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to interact and guide crew members
- Must demonstrate reliability through attendance, punctuality and ability to stay in work area.
- Must be able to cooperate with co-workers and supervisors.
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude. Ability to work overtime as needed.
Additional Company Information
We offer excellent benefits to eligible employees, including 401(k), holidays, vacations and more.
Quad/Graphics is an equal employment opportunity employer. The Company’s policy is not to unlawfully discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other consideration made unlawful by applicable federal, state, or local laws. The Company also prohibits harassment of applicants and employees based on any of these protected categories.
Drug Free Workplace
Categories at a glance
Explore available opportunities by job type, click each to learn more.
Develop sales strategies to help solve our clients’ challenges and grow their business.
Concept and design compelling campaigns and products for leading retailers, publishers and brand marketers.
Develop plans to buy and schedule media to support clients' marketing objectives from print to digital media and broadcast.
Gain real-work experience through internships and trainee programs with strategic entry-level opportunities.
Make an impact in strategic administrative roles that include information technology (IT), accounting, legal and marketing.
Make quality print products in a highly automated and technologically advanced environment.
Be part of a team that drives our success.
Electrical & Mechanical
Be a problem solver and join a team that ensures our facilities, offices and equipment are running efficiently.
Manage client relationships and their projects from within a facility, creative studio or in the client’s on-site location.