Saddle Stitch OperatorApply Job ID 25146 Date posted Jan. 23, 2023 Location Sussex, Wisconsin
Descriptions & Qualifications – External
Quad is currently hiring Essential Workers who want to make a difference - Imagine more than you have today. Your career starts here. Be greater than you thought possible and reap the rewards of your success and growth. We are in the business of developing people. Promotions are based on your performance – You are in charge of your career!
At Quad wages for Saddle Stitch Operators are between $22.50 - $29.50/hr. depending on experience. You have immediate opportunities to advance – driving you to be better than yesterday. As your career progresses, there are multiple upward paths available, as we are continuously looking for our next group of leaders to excel within the organization.
One of Quad’s largest mega plants and world headquarters is located in Sussex, WI. Sussex has been rated one of the “Best Places to Raise Kids” and is one of the top school systems in Southeastern Wisconsin. Sussex has outstanding parks, trails, and golf courses and is nestled in between the two largest cities in the state, Milwaukee, and Madison.
The Sussex plant is just over 1.7 million square feet in size, CLIMATE CONTROLLED, and home to innovative equipment and technology. Our employees and their families have access to a nearby medical clinic, and onsite fitness center, as well as many recreational outdoor activities like sand volleyball, baseball, and basketball courts which are free for employees and their families to enjoy. We offer competitive pay, health, dental, pharmacy, and life insurance, 401k, vacation, and other great benefits.
Quad is a Wisconsin-based company, which is among the largest magazine and direct-mail printers in the U.S. Our company leverages its strong print foundation as part of a much larger, robust integrated marketing services platform that helps marketers and content creators improve the efficiency and effectiveness of their marketing spend across offline and online media channels.
Quad is closely following the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) and implementing processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, customers, and communities. We follow CDC and local health authorities, and federal and state governments along with best practices and recommendations from our healthcare subsidiary, QuadMed.
BE YOUR OWN SUCCESS STORY. BE SOMETHING GREATER. BE QUAD.
Quad is seeking Saddle Stitch Operators for the Sussex, Wisconsin plant. Experience with Goss 855, 2200, and/or 2500 is highly desirable. Will consider candidates that have run other types of Saddle Stitch equipment as well.
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
- Operate machines effectively and safely according to standards to ensure a quality product.
- Perform and document preventative and routine maintenance as needed or assigned.
- Make ready the stacker, tiers, mail head, and mail control.
- Make ready and run all aspects of the saddle stitcher (pockets, gatherer, stitcher heads, in feed, trimmer, mail table, mail head, etc.).
- Make-ready and run demographic and inkjet.
- Fill in for other master operators when needed.
- Assist other master operators with start-ups as possible when your own line is down.
- Support material handlers during continuous and self-supported running (including mail-sacking, skid stacking, pocket filling, cover filling, etc.) and give work direction during downtime and clean-up.
- Read and understand binding instructions, and mailing instructions, and support the BCS system.
- Ensure proper functioning of safety devices (i.e., guards, stop buttons).
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment.
- Perform additional tasks as needed or assigned.
- Demonstrated skill in mechanics/mechanical aptitude
- Ability to read and interpret binding/mailing instructions and operating / maintenance manuals
- Knowledge of department safety practices
- Good understanding of all Bindery functions/procedures
- Good understanding of the co-palletization process, demographics, and selective binding processes
- Good understanding of primary causes and remedies for various quality problems
- Ability to recognize, identify, analyze, and communicate problem situations and/or factors
- Basic computer skills including a good understanding of the BCS System
- Willingness to move to other machines
- Willingness to work overtime on unscheduled days
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Effective communication skills; both oral and written
- Ability to work easily and productively with others and with minimal supervision
- You will work a compressed 3- and 4-day work week geared toward balancing work and family life (12-hour rotating shift (either 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. or 7 p.m. - 7 a.m.) including days, nights, weekends, and holidays).
Essential functions of this job include the following: the ability to lift 10-20 pounds continuously, the ability to lift up to seventy pounds occasionally, stand for long hours, use hands and wrists continuously in controlled movement, receive and follow instructions and use vision in order to identify defects.
Categories at a glance
Explore available opportunities by job type, click each to learn more.
Develop sales strategies to help solve our clients’ challenges and grow their business.
Concept and design compelling campaigns and products for leading retailers, publishers and brand marketers.
Develop plans to buy and schedule media to support clients' marketing objectives from print to digital media and broadcast.
Manage client relationships and their projects from within a facility, creative studio or in the client’s on-site location.
Make an impact in strategic administrative roles that include information technology (IT), accounting, legal and marketing.
Make quality print products in a highly automated and technologically advanced environment.
Drivers & Logistics
Create customized distribution solutions to move freight on-time, every time, delivering on customers' needs.
Electrical & Mechanical
Be a problem solver and join a team that ensures our facilities, offices and equipment are running efficiently.
Gain real-work experience through internships and trainee programs with strategic entry-level opportunities.
The importance of caring for one another, runs deep. It is at the heart of our healthcare and wellness programs, our retirement plans, all of our benefits. It's how we build rich, balanced lives for ourselves and our families, at work and at home.
From the very beginning, Quad has been defined by the people who work here. Our values, our skills, our creativity – it has all grown from those very first days in business, passed from worker to worker, built on the relationships – the trust – between us. All the presses, computers and technology; all the buildings; all the resources; none of it matters without the people who make Quad work.